Thursday, October 21, 2010

Warisan Merdeka Tower : Why Do We Need It

Let's open our heart and think as an opportunist and optimist.

Warisan Merdeka Tower is a new project announced by our Prime Minister, Dato' Sri Najib Tun Razak. The project cost is estimated to be around RM 5 billion and will be constructed and supervised by PNB Berhad. A mammoth in Malaysian corporate sector, this project is said to be fully funded by PNB Berhad itself and the Malaysian Government will only give its blessing to the project.

But what I read on daily basis ever since this project is announced is that there are some Malaysian opposing the idea, they even created a Facebook page to derive support from fellow Malaysian. So why does they opposing this idea? What consequences that this construction bring to many Malaysian? What disadvantage will overcome after the completion of this tower? Why must this tower be condemn?

As always, every mega development in Malaysia will face criticizing first from her people, such precedence cases like Petronas Twin Tower, who was once the tallest tower in the world and Penang second bridge. This simple examples shows us that our nature is to oppose before we think. We are full of anger. (sad)

I still remember when the government announce years ago about their plan to built Petronas Twin Tower, many opposed, especially opposition politicians, they uttered many criticisms onto the prospect. I was young at that time, too young to understand, too young to interpret the logic behind it, too young to explore into a more complex economical benefit from the tower, but I can remember my dad and his pals in old days condemned the idea. They said the construction money should be distributed to all Malaysian evenly, they said the money to construct the tower comes from tax payer, they said that there is no point to have such a tall and big tower and it is pointless to have that big ambition as we are nothing to compare to other developed nation in the world.

But now, look what's our perception later. When the Petronas Tower is completed, we all say woooooooo, wtf, mamma mia, or my good lord that's one tall building. We are all awe! Until now, the tower has attracted many visitors from all over the world, many businesses operate inside the tower, many job opportunity has been created and Malaysian life standard has been lifted up.

Let me know if there's any Malaysian now still think that Petronas Tower is useless, and I will condemn him or her.

I am blessed to have the chance to travel to most part of the world. Been to many country for my economy and sociology researches, business trip and vacation. Every time I'm at the cafe or bar enjoying my cigar or pipe, I met new friend, we'll talk about the current world, we'll talk about Malaysia, and Petronas Twin Tower is the compulsory topic and I never miss to hear from them beside Sepang International Circuit topic.

I'm a patriotic kinda guy, I'll shed tears when people praise Malaysia development. Hence, without hesitation, I always be their host every time they visit Malaysia as a gratitude to acknowledge Malaysia.

Now you see what is the impact from just a tower. It's a branding strategy, it's a marketing strategy, it's a way to let other nation to look upon us and say 'Malaysia is not bad, I never thought they are ahead with others nation.'

So the same strategy is applied to Warisan Merdeka Tower, the tower is offering business opportunity, will open more job opportunity, shall boost our tourism and boost our image to the world.

The 100 storey tower will comprise shopping center, office, car park and apartment. This development in economic perspective will stimulate the economic activity in Malaysia in a long term prospect. FDI is predicted to enter Malaysia drastically, more job opportunity is expected to be created and living standard will be lifted as well. So why oppose?

During my writing, it has already 80,126 visitor in Facebook clicked 'like' to the 1 Malaysian Reject 100 Storey Tower page on Facebook, some commenter wrote :-

'please...we're not searching for fame via this mega tower , it's a waste of money! put those money to enhance our education, liberate ones from poverty... & so on in the name of helping us,the Malaysians' 

'Mega turd idea!! Wahahaha once again we prove to the world we are led by turds who thinks the longest upright structure would show the world we mean business... Incidentally, showing foreigners the longest finger we got on our hand, literally, also means business... AWESOME FACT! They should just dig the deepest hole and hide in there...'. 

'Where are the Honest reporting Journalist ? 80,000 people objecting to something surely should be making News Headlines'.                                                                                                                          'i like roti canai. u all know what ? im only a kiddo but can think about this country future because i love my country. not only to show my name to the world that i build this fucking taller building. oh yeahh.roti canai to all fakir miskin...'. 

'this time i really proud malaysian can unite to disagree with government STUPID planning to wasting people money!!!!! luv u all Malaysian!! haha'.

I read all the comments, I don't condemn them, I don't criticize them. Everybody has a right to express what they though. This is a free country, I'll fight for liberty, equality and fertility.

But let us be reminded again, this project is not funded by the government.!

But if the government decided to build it, I will still agree, because the benefit will always goes to Malaysian.

The best method to analyze every decision that has been decided is to sit calmly, and write down the pros and cons. From there you will know that the issue is wise or unwise. 

Dear fellow Malaysian, I'm not here to say I'm a big fan of the government, I'm just a big fan of economy, as I was saying, I'm a saltwater economist. Where there's a greater good for the people, I'm there to support. I'm a Malaysian.

Check on PNB Berhad. They are the one who proposed the idea, they are the one to finance the whole project, not the government.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment